August 1, 2008 to Present

flags bar

I am 84 years old now. As you know I was a "plank Owner" C/M 2nd. Class. I was on the boxing team while I was on the Markab. My nickname was "Spike" because I was a wood butcher. The war ended and our boxing team missed a chance to go to Manila for the fleet championship.

Mail to: Bill "Spike" Moss

There is another article about "Spike" on this web site

Flag bar

I was aboard the Markab from 1963-65 in the Pattern Shop. I would like to receive dates and places of future reunions, plus any other news I may be entitled to. If you need any additional information please contact me:

Mail to: Jerry M. Johnson

flags bar

I read in the July issue of the American Legion magazine about the Markab Reunion. I was a BT2 when I transferred to DD-657, having been aboard since December 1952 when she was taken out of mothballs in Orange Texas.

Some of the men I remember are; Spencer, Doolin, Hess, Drexler, Wheeler, Blomme, Anderson, Nevill, Poling, Lodge, Griffin, Bishop, Hoagland, Butler, Jenson, Yarrison, Bradey, Stenhouse& Vail. All were B- Division personnel.

You can also reach me 920-882-9223. Mail to:

Flag bar

Posted July 2009
John Thorpe and his 8 year old great-grandson.
John Thoupe

flags bar

Posted March 2009
Commander Thomas Bedford is nearly 91 years old and still doing well with 3 time weekly trips to the YMCA for pool exercises. He still manages to build museum quality models of sailing ships. Don’t know how he manages to do all the fine rigging of the masts, but he does! Commander Bedford was aboard the Markab in 1954 and was in the Repair Division. You may email his son, John Bedford by clicking on his name.
John Bedford

Flag bar

Posted March 2009
Recently, I received an email attachment of a Navy Vet website that was loaded down with vets in Pattern Makers and Molders. When I email one individual that I was on the Markab, he mentioned being aboard another repair ship with a First Class PO name Roy Thornley . I was aboard from 63-66 and served with him. His wife and mine lived off base next to each other and had many a good time. Anyway I found out that he lives in South Carolina just outside Charleston. He didn't even know we had a reunion there. That was about the time he had lost his wife. I wrote him a letter and he called me Sunday and we talked for about 2 hours about where our lives had taken us an about ship mates. I was really surprised and shocked that my First Class Petty Officer Herman Anderson had a very unfortunate event happen in his life. I enjoyed my time in the past with Roy and again the other day and with stay in touch. I told him about this years reunion. For those that remember him, I thought you might like to know this.
Email me: Paul Beyer

flags bar

Posted March 2009
Dear Sir,
Did I read this correctly, that the Markab is still floating? She was my first ship in Sept of 1963, when I was waiting to go to school at Treasure Island. I went on the the USS Mauna Kea AE22, and then on to the USS Pictor AF54 where I finished up in 1966. Both of which have been sold for scrap. I still keep in regular touch with an old Markab shipmate. She was a big old bugger for a Kansas farm boy. Thanks.
Email me: John Ewing

Flag bar

Posted March 2009
Stanley Williams Stovall, Jr. 'Buddy'
Stan Stovall

Stan Stovall
MORVEN, NC -- Mr. Stovall, 63, died Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at his home. The Funeral will be at 2:00 p.m., Saturday, February 28, 2009 at Morven Presbyterian Church with Mr. Ken Goins, CLP, officiating. Interment will follow in Morven Cemetery. The family will greet friends tonight, Friday, February 27th, from 6:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. at Leavitt Funeral Home in Wadesboro and other times at their home in the Brown Creek Community of Wadesboro.

Buddy was born June 27, 1945 in Wake County, NC a son of the late Stanley Williams Stovall and the late Lulie Wimbish Stovall Hardison. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his step-father, Robert M. Hardison.

He had worked with both First National and Southern National Banks, which later became Branch Bank and Trust, where he retired. He was a veteran of the United States Navy, serving during the Vietnam War, had served on the Morven Town Council for several terms, on the board of the Morven Food Pantry and was a member of Morven Presbyterian Church.

Surviving are his wife, Mary Brown Stovall of the home; his son, Robert Stovall and wife, Jennifer of Wadesboro; his daughter, Chris S. Burr of Wadesboro and his grandchildren, Katelyn and Brooke Stovall and Taylor, Morgan and Jackson Burr all of Wadesboro.

Stan served aboard the USS Markab in 1969
Mrs. Mary Stovall.
Post Office Box 323, Morven, NC 28119,
Stan's keen sense of humor, his love for country, the cost of freedom and liberty through our military are just some of his character traits. He will be missed by all.

flags bar

Posted March 2009
Does anyone know the whereabouts of Bill Mosses? We have not heard from him for months. Thanks,
Email me: Harry Davis

Flag bar

Posted March 2009
Hello Markab shipmates!
The upcoming reunion in September in Dearborn, MI, has stirred up a lot of memories. Who remembers the big roll almost capsized us. I was mess cooking in the first class mess when we rolled . What a mess it made of every thing. I was later told by MR2 Trupp that it was a 42 or 43 degree roll. Does anyone else have related stories about where they were when this happened ? I've been in contact with a lot of guys like Gary Moore, S. Fieldler, J Prussner, T. May, C Buonadona, G Merritt. Still looking for Missiano, Burdett, Biernant, Marin Lee Tom O'Neil, Bruce Pickens, to name a few. To all the guys I've found, it's been great talking to you after all these years. I hope R-2 is well represented in September. Wouldn't a bull session be great. ' till then take care,
MR3 Bill " SKI" Shemenski
Email me:

flags bar

Posted November 22, 2008
It is with a sad heart that I must report the death of Harold Dean Peck.. This shipmate made his last voyage on Sept 4, 2008.
Harold Peck was on board when the Markab was Re-commissioned in Beaumont Texas. He was living in Vidor Texas at the time of his death.
He came from the Destroyer Borie to Orange Texas.
Bob Williams  AD-21

Flag bar

Posted on 11/22/08
I was the Operations/Communications Officer at the recommissioning of the MARKAB in Beaumont, TX in January 1952. I was a reserve officer called back for active duty in 1950 and spent one year aboard the USS REPOSE in and around Korea. (and I might add - it was a very cold winter).

After departing Texas we worked our way to Newport, RI and trained in and out of there before Brooklyn Navy Yard for a few months. We returned to Newport and I was released from active duty in June of 1952.

Time has taken its toll and I don't seem to be able to recall the names of many of the officers. The Exec was John McKay and the dental officer was a southern gentleman who was a prisoner in Japan during WW11 .

I would be interested in knowing something about the MARKAB after I was released. Should you have any material regarding the reunion, I would enjoy receiving whatever - and of course reimburse you for whatever.

I received your name from a reunion notice in the AMERICAN LEGION magazine. Good luck.
William M. Donleavey, LT. USNR (Retired)
Email me:

flags bar

Posted 11/22/08
Ken Christensen
Ken Christensen

I am Ken Christensen's son.
Regretfully, I must inform you of Ken's death on Oct 2nd. In going thru Ken’s things – I found a piece of the pennant from your ship which he kept. I also saw that he printed out information concerning your recent reunion in Colorado. I've attached a copy of his Obituary. I know that he had made friends during his tour of duty.
Regards - John (e-mail address: John)

John Christensen
2128 Broadmoor Drive East
Seattle, WA 98112
Tel. 206.322.7113
Kenneth “Ken” Christensen of Auburn, CA died October 2, 2008 at his home, he was 82.

A Time of Remembrance will be held October 26th at Noon at the Sierra Pines United Methodist Church, 22559 West Hacienda Drive, Grass Valley, CA.

Ken was born October 21, 1925 in Racine, WI. He first worked at the Martin Company, and later spent many years at IBM in New York, San Jose, CA, and before retirement several years in Stratford-Upon-Avon England. He was a WWII Navy Veteran who later earned a Bachelor of Science from San Jose State University. Ken enjoyed golf, western history, bridge, poker, snow skiing and dancing. Ken was an American Legion Post 310 60 year member, a member of San Jose Lodge No. 10 of the Masons, an active and devoted member of the Sierra Pines United Methodist Church, The Pinesmen, and SIRS. Ken’s always positive attitude and good natured sense of humor will be missed.

Ken is survived by his son, John Christensen of Seattle WA; brother Bill Christensen of Harlingen TX; niece Karin Hansen of Sunnyvale CA, and loving companion Barbara Jones of Auburn CA, and many nieces and nephews.

He was preceded in death by his wife of nearly 50 years, Patricia; parents Krist & Sarah “Jensen” Christensen; brothers “Bunny”, Bob, Anker.

Flag bar

Posted August 1, 2008
My name is Al Bordeau. I saw an announcement in the Legion or DAV magazine about the Markab reunion. The phone number listed was 1-999-941-5756? I tried to call and "the call couldn't be completed as dialed". So I texted you from my cell. The dog is my ex-wifes Shih-Poo Bently, he is 3 yrs old and weighs 14 lbs. Very mellow and precious. I'll be doing some relocating this weekend. I'll be able to text you, and my snail-mail add.
Al Bordeau
22834 Valley Vista Dr.
Corning, Ca. 96021
ph. 15412823919
when I get an email address I'll let you know.
When did you serve on AR-23? I was on her for 24 mos. Nov. 63 to Nov. 65. I made a West-Pac cruise, and I still have the cruise book. I'll check out how much it would cost to have it scanned on to a DVD. I might be interested in coming to a reunion, but it won't be this year. If you don't mind sending your contact information I'll send you some photos, to take to this years reunion. I know that I can scan with my printer, but I can't figure it out. I grew up in Redondo Beach, Ca. Graduated from high school in 1963, went to MM/A school in Great Lakes before reporting to Markab at NAS Alameda on San Francisco Bay. I'm now a retired Road Maintenance worker from Bakersfield, Ca. I get a 10% VA disability for my hearing. I belong to AMVETS and DAV. Being a snipe in the engine room is not good for your ears. I tend to get wordy in my letters. There is a lot of life that I won't try to tell you about now. I am a born-again Christian and I go to a Baptist Church in Corning, Ca. What is your denomination? I'll be at this email address for another week. God Bless You.....Al Bordeau

flags bar

Posted August 1, 2008
Sir, my name is Rod. I have bought a lighter with USS MARKAB-23 service to the fleet on it just wondered if anybody wanted to buy it before I sold it to someone who don't give a poop about our history. please let me know. Thank you.
E-mail: Ron

Flag bar

Posted August 1, 2008
Bill (Campbell):
Thank you so much for all of your information and the photo of you and your wife. My Dad has really enjoyed looking at the website and reading the Markab Scuttlebutt. Attached is some of his 'scuttlebutt' and a picture of his division during WWII. I tried to put these directly on the website; but, had no luck. Didn't know if you were the administrator and one to get items on the site.
Thanks again and God Bless!
Judi Hampton.....for John Thorpe

John Thorpe
John Thorpe

7th Division (light machine shop)
7th Div

Hi Shipmates:
In checking the latest scuttlebutt, I became aware that those that served on the Markab were not on board before December 1945. I was assigned to the 7th Division (light machine shop) under warrant officer Schroder, coming aboard in late Sept. (Ulithi Atol), 1944. This was the staging area for the Phillipine invasion in Oct. 1944. There were ships as far as the eye could see…..LCT’s, Destroyers of all kinds, Cruisers, Battleships, Carriers, etc.
We left for the Phillipines in late Oct. along with the Prairie and Dixie. We were part of the 10th Fleet Repair Ships. When we arrived we all anchored in the bay between Tachlobin (Leyte) and Osmania Villiage (Samar). We were on our way north when the war ended and anchored in Sasebo Harbor on Kiyuchu. We stayed for a short time and then left the harbor and went south around Kiushu to Kagoshima on the east side of the island.
I left the Markab to go home just after Christmas. I was discharged in Long Island, New York on January 22, 1946. Attached is a picture of members of the 7th Division:

Front row: Cook, Baker
2nd row: Thorpe (me), Diemer, Caesar, Callewaert, Brauch
3rd row: Huat, Lootens, Callaway
Last row: Menz, Ehlke, Friedricks.

Email me: John H. Thorpe  if you have any information about these shipmates.